Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What a mess!








I can never wait to get sowing, so every January I get peas, broad beans and sweet peas underway. I've got some basil sown as well. Never had much success with basil. I always dream of rows and rows of lush bushes, and presenting my friends and family with home made goblin market pesto. Never happens.

My peas are looking a tad leggy, I never know why that is. Are they too warm maybe? Well, I've bunged them out to harden off now, along with the beans. I'm planning a trip to Wickes to see how much drain pipe is....I've always wanted to try the drain pipe pea sowing thing.

I've tried soaking my sweetpea seeds in warm water over night, lets see if it makes any difference eh?!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I find basil hard. I had five seeds germinate out of half a packet. Captain Rupert ate one the slugs ate threee and I was left with just one stem of basil. Your sweet peas are lovely.

One Crabapple said...

It DOES help.

Putting a nick in them does too.

And always works well on my nastutium.

Good luck with those. Can't wait until we are admiring your gardening pix later in the year.

Gretel said...

I am ok with basil, I just sow it quite thickly straight into the pot. I am going to sow some seeds now, you've inspired me! Do you think your peas want more light? That is often a reason for legginess.

(BTW - I didn't get you Christmas card...:( That's why you didn't see it with the rest. Oxfordshire post is pretty lousy sometimes).