Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Peppermint Tree

Yesterday afternoon, I went to watch the RVMB (The Royal Vienna Mouse Ballet), production of The Peppermint Tree.
The Peppermint Tree is a tragic tale of unrequited love, secrets, tragedy and betrayal. The only way for Belle Menthe, the heroine, to mend her broken heart is to venture deep into the ice forest in search of the magical Peppermint Tree. A single bloom plucked from the tree will make all Belle Menthe's woes disappear. However, in a cruel twist of fate, the thorns of the tree are deadly poisonous. The finale of the ballet is too tragic for words...I shall try...

Belle Menthe finds the tree, and in her desperation to mend her heart, forgets that one prick from the tree's thorns would be fatal.

Belle Menthe dies alone, in the ice forest, underneath the Peppermint Tree.




Above is Matilde, the stunning prima who played Belle Menthe.



Above is Fifi Von Frincklestein, the production's choreographer and former prima ballerina. Back in her day she was the star of the stage, appearing in productions for over twenty-five years, including Mouse Pond and The Cheese Grater.






The battery for my camera died before I could capture the rest of the dancers on film, I am however planning to go and watch the ballet again next week, ( if my heart can take it), so will post more pictures then.

9 comments:

Catherine Hayward said...

I can't stop laughing! Fantastic. (don't know ballet very well, is that based on one of the real ones?)
The mice are turning out brill.

Miss Erica said...

No, it's a fictional ballet...
I made it up as I was going along.
I think I've finally lost the plot!

Glad you like the mice!

xx

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I haven't been here in oh so long and look at all you have been up to!! I love your little mice, so adorable!!! EXCEPT for the live one...you are such a brave soul as truly the real ones...well, let's just say I am a huge wimp - you know, jumping up on the furniture...like a cartoon! heehee
Anyway, I loved your little ballet story too..what a fabulous imagination you have!!

Deb said...

these are fantastic. its like a photo story book. i love the attention to detail on the mice. the little ballet pumps and the feather behind one of their ear's. they make me smile.
dx

Emm@ said...

Wow! They are gorgeous. You can definitely tell that Fifi is a HUGE Prima Donna, and that poor Mathilde is being artistically overshadowed by Fifi's humungous ego. I watch those two, if I were you.

Gretel said...

The Peppermint Tree sounds wonderful...you have FOUND the plot, not lost it. Dear little creatures. :)

natural attrill said...

So sweet!
Penny.

clare said...

Bravo! Fantastique! Superbe!

Unknown said...

I actually found this quite emotional! I can't believe the rose thorns were poisonous. How tragic but beautiful..:(